There is always a sense of newness, resolution, gone with the past – when we enter a new year. What’s different for you this year? This week’s devotional (thanks to Alan Lyle) we’re reminded of the top four goals we should set for the new year. You may already have in mind some of your goals for this coming year, but why not spend some time in prayer. Ask God for direction, seek His will, and guidance for each step into 2015.
4 Goals for the New Year
- Spiritual – John 15:15 abide in the vine of Christ. Read His Word daily, get involved in a Bible study. Share your faith with someone, set a goal of how many people you will minister to this year.
- Mind – Engage your mind. Proverbs 1:5 “let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance.” NIV – Learn something new, teach/share with others what you learn.
- Emotional relationships – Colossians 3:23 “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. Colossians 3 talks about Rules for Holy living. 3:13 says, “Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.”
- Physical – taking care of your ‘temple’. Set goals for a healthier lifestyle. I Corinthians 6:19-20 “Or don’t you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.”
My challenges change and develop over the year, but I need to start somewhere so I’m praying for direction and setting up plans for:
- Growing the ministry I work in to increase the number of people we reach out to 100 new people this year. Invest time/resources into a new church start-up. Balance time in ministry, family, work ministry and taking care of myself.
- Be a better listener, share/teach others what I have learned and pray about teaching a course online or workshop. Also praying about teaching within a local home school coop.
- Follow the Rules of Holy living.
- Stay active regularly. I started using the RunKeeper app training program to work up to jogging continuously in a 5k by Feb 2015. By eating healthily and moving regularly (walk/jog 3x week and gym 2-3x week – or going to Disney and walking 7 miles!) I can prevent the ailments that plague our family and society. I’ll track my health through routine blood lab results, weight and health checks in general.
I can walk a 5k easily, however my husband runs 5 and 10k races and I don’t like running. In order to challenge myself physically, although I have trained and completed two Tinman Triathlons in Hawaii, since moving to Orlando I haven’t been able to adjust to the environment well enough to want to compete. I still bike and swim but bad knees have held me back from jogging.
- I will train 3 times a week to walk/jog and eventually full jog the entire 5k on March 7.
- I will train 3 times a week to walk/jog and complete a 5k w/my husband at the Clermont Waterfront park run by end of Feb.
- I will continue training 3 times a week and jog the entire 5k by end of March at the Clermont parkrun. (Free weekly 5k timed runs)
What are your 4 Goals for this coming year?
If you haven’t set any yet, take some time to pray about it and ask for God’s guidance.
Ephesians 4:22-24 (NIV)
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.